Thursday, September 18, 2008

2008 Dry Creek Valley Chardonnay

The first wine that I ever made was from these vines 10 vintages ago. The wine turned out to be quite tasty but more importantly these grapes are the reason that I became hooked on winemaking.
A month ago I was looking at the Merlot and Cab when I walked by and was just in awe and these beautiful little clusters and decided to produce a 2008 Chardonnay. I am very excited to be finally making a commercial wine from these grapes this year and have started off conservatively with 4.5 tons which should yield about 250 cases of wine. The grapes arrived on September 5, 2008 and numbers were as follows- Brix 24.1 TA .86 Ph 3.3. It has been fermenting for 13 days now in tank and has wonderful pineapple aromas and flavors. I am going to age 70% of the wine in French Oak Barrels and am going to put it through malolactic fermentation (for mouthfeel and complexity.) The other 30% will remain in tank to retain the wonderful tropical fruit that it is expressing.
This wine will be released July of 2009.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

2008 Lake County Sauvignon Blanc

On September 5, 2008 we received these grapes at our facility and proceeded to pitch fork and shovel for what seemed like days. The aromas and flavors of the grapes had tons of grapefruit and passion fruit with a touch of green tomato bush. It was very similar to Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough, New Zealand, so needless to say we are ecstatic. We did a 36 hour cold settling and than inoculated the juice. This 800 gallons of Sauvignon Blanc been fermenting for 12 days and I am definitely getting citrus and tropical flavors with a touch of minerality.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Costa Azul

The last couple of years I have been making wine in a facility 2 blocks from the beach and decided to name the brand "Blue Coast." I have just recently released 2 wines under this label, a 2005 Dry Creek Valley Petite Sirah and a 2006 Grenache from Valle de Guadelupe, Baja. In March of 2009, we will be releasing a 2006 Sonoma County Meritage and and a 2008 Lake County Sauvignon Blanc. - Chris -